We, as did many, waited with baited breath on Sunday 10th May at 7pm to see what the plans were for relaxing the lockdown we had lived with over the past weeks. We seemed to have adapted quite quickly and easily.
As many pointed out maybe more questions were raised than were answered and it left us personally no further forward.
We had discussed that we would be at least a month behind our intended schedule and how we would or could cope with this. We looked at the possibility of changing our dry dock location, maybe somewhere nearer to cut down on the journey south when the work on the boat was complete.
We looked at a yacht haven near Boston and thought it looked good (provided the boat would be able to get through the famous ‘Glory Hole’ in the centre of Lincoln), on paper this seemed fine. The marina had space so we just had to decide where we wanted to go.
Canal & River Trust have spoken….
On Wednesday 13th May the Canal & River Trust advised that they would be relaxing some of their restrictions too, and fully opening up the waterways on 1st June.
That was all we needed to know.. we swung into action to try to bring all the components of our plan together: buy a river licence, contact the company who are supplying the engine to see where they were at with the manufacture of that and make a decision over the marina.
Martin’s excitement was palpable.
Within a couple of hours we had a plan – we would head over to Boston on Monday 1st June, this was gareed with the marina and the engine company given the new details for the engine delivery.
We had decided on Boston as this gave us less open water to cover on leaving dry dock and depending on weather, European restrictions etc. gave us a chance of maybe getting over the channel and into Europe this year.
Boston isn’t a huge marina and it is a bit in the middle of nowhere so I shall have to find things to occupy myself while Martin shot blasts, paints and installs his new engine.
We will still need to progress our RYA Day Skipper practical but hopefully we can incorporate this on our journey down to east coast.
Am I excited – yes but as ever I think I will always have doubts about how I will cope with a transient life, leaving family and friends and heading into the largely unknown. The books and maps are out – we are hoping for fine weather so we can get moving soon.